Tuesday, August 19, 2008

And so it has begun

The count down is over.
The pictures have been taken.
School is now in session.
Shelby Jo is in First Grade.
Wow.
Our morning started at 6:30 a.m.
With my first cup of coffee almost finished, I woke Shelby up to start her day.
She jumped up without fighting me and got dressed.
Brushed hair, ate breakfast, brushed teeth.
And we were off.




School here starts thirty minutes earlier than back in Augusta (8:00), so we left home about 7:40 to get to school a tad early so we could walk her to her classroom.
The school faculty said we could do this for this first week then we drop them off at the curb in front of the school.



Shelby walked right in her classroom, found her desk, and proceeded to color.

After we left her, the PTA was hosting a "Sip And Sob" for the new parents of Pelham Road Elem. So Larry and I went and checked it out. They had coffee, juice, and doughnuts. It was basically a meeting to suck you in to volunteer in the school. The PTA here is like Warren Road. Hungry wolves looking for fresh blood. I explained to them that I was going to be working during the day and couldn't spend a lot of time at the school, but would be more than willing to do things from home. Send snacks, cut out things for the teachers, etc. I told Larry that should hold them off for a little while. ;)

Something told me to look behind me at one particular moment. As soon as I did I saw Shelby, another student, and a teacher walking in the lunchroom. She was carrying a piece of paper. In school thirty minutes and is already running errands. I think we may have some student council material in our midst! She has always been a doer and willing to help out.

School got out at 2:30, so off we went several hours later.

We bombarded her with questions about her day.

Her answer, "I don't remember."

Well, I'm sure more information will eventually come out.

It IS just the first day.

Until then...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Awwwwww!!!! She looks so grown up on her first day of 1st grade. So pretty!! I miss ya'll sooo much. I don't think I can say that enough. Great pics and great start.

Jessica said...

Shelby's growing up on us! She looks so beautiful in those pictures. I'm so glad it went well for all of you. She's nothing like her Aunt Jess in some respects - I never would have settled in quite that quickly. I'm glad she's got that in her. She's going to do so well!

Weezer said...

Weezer is so proud of Shelby Jo!! What a beautiful, big girl! I thought of her all day and wondered how things were going for her. As I found out years ago, that first day is always worst for the parents than it is for the child. I'm so glad things are going well. Please keep me posted.